How to Apply for PRTD?

How to enter Canada without a PR card

if you do not have a PR card and you are outside of Canada and need to return back

or first time coming to Canada as Permanent Resident

but to apply for a PR card you must be in Canada to apply for a PR card click here

if you have changed your status but did not change your TRV and you have a valid TRV for another status (click here if you need to apply for a new TRV visa stamp)

then also you can travel but must keep all documents that can confirm your current immigration status

okay so if you are PR and outside of Canada need to return back 

then you must apply for (PRTD) permanent resident travel document 

If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

how to apply PRTD

you need to fill following forms

Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5524)

fill the application form click here to get the application form IMM5525

if you are not able to open this form  and the following error message is on the screen

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

if you are not applying by your self then you have to fill  imm5476

For information about acceptable proof of status and employment,

Required Documents

see to the Document Checklist (IMM 5627) (PDF, 1.51MB).


Download the photo information sheet (PDF, 215 KB)

and take it with you to the photographer

Pay your fees

Click here to make payment online

for Permanent resident travel document  fees is  $50


Submitting your application

In a sealed envelope, submit:

all supporting documents;

your completed application form


the Document Checklist.

You must provide all information and documents when you submit your application.

Click here

to find if the VAC office is open or closed

if you found it open then click here

and choose the country from where you are applying for

and choose the country from where you are applying for

if  VAC is closed

then you can submit an application by email

make sure to get scanned comply for all required documents

application form and documents checklist

and fees receipt

add in the application and send by email

If you have it, get a copy of your confirmed flight ticket, or the itinerary for your travel to Canada. Your copies should clearly show

your flight number

date of travel

arrival airport in Canada

and send all documents and applications to the

the subject line: “PRTD application: [put your name here]”

if this helped you please comment and share

Leave a Comment